Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making everything accessible

Today I am working with Didi and Helen--we are looking at the activities that Didi has created for the SMART board (and SMART table); and I am trying to create some supports for communication (using the GoTalkNow app on the iPad) to go along with the activities.  I will also be looking at ways I can make the activities themselves more accessible...but this is where I am starting.  

So, for example, in Theme 1 (Welcome to School), Didi has created an activity for the SMART board that looks like this...
screen shot of activity
School Items Activity for SMART Board Center - Theme 1

This activity involves "dragging & dropping"...which may be more difficult for some of our students with physical /multiple disabilities...SO, I have created several GoTalk Now boards to go along with this activity.  If a student is not able to physically access the activity, he/she can still tell someone which item to move and/or answer yes/no questions related to these items.  
"Items" page (touch the item and it'll speak)
"Yes/No" page for responding to question: "Can you find this in school?"


While working on this, I discovered a new feature of the GoTalk Now app (which must have come with one of the more recent updates) that is VERY exciting (to me, anyway)! 
The cool *new* feature I just discovered: Scene Display
This is what the SMART board will look like & if you
touch one of the items, it will speak the name



No comments:

Post a Comment