Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Surveys

If you've been to the MMC, you know that we have the little "I visited the Multimedia Center" papers for the students...so they can share the center they worked in and what they thought about it.  Well, after talking with one of the teachers--who said her students had a tough time filling out the paper once they returned to the classroom--I started to think about a different way we could do it.  What I really wanted was a way that we could do it electronically (maybe with an app?)...so we could have the kids complete it before they left the center. I also wanted to create a survey for the staff--so I can get feedback about the activities.

So, I started looking (in between classes yesterday) for survey apps.  There are lots of them, in case you were wondering.  I was looking for one with specific features, though.  Since I want the students to do a "survey", I needed to find one that (in addition to being *free*) allowed me to add pictures.  It didn't take me as long as I thought it would to find one: Polldaddy.com. With a free account, you can create surveys, quizzes, polls, etc.  Among lots of nifty other features, they offer the ability to add pictures to surveys, and they have a free app for iDevices.  

I am excited to start trying this out with the kids...we'll probably start with our PreK/Head Start classes.  Here are some of the nifty things you can do with this site/app:
  • Embed the kids' survey in the SMART board activity (it's on the last page).
Screenshot from SMART Notebook - Embedded kids' survey
  •  Create QR codes to put on the center signs, or blog/newsletter (that can be scanned with any phone or iDevice with a code reader--you can get them free, too; you can actually scan these images below and it'll take you to the survey...so cool!).
    MMC Center Survey (staff) QR code
    Center Survey (kids) QR code
  •  Link the apps on the iDevices (iPads/iPods) to the surveys so they can be accessed right from the center.
Now I just need to get a functioning laptop in there, and I can start working hard on the accessibility & communication stuff.  I guess that'll be tomorrow's task. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment